What Do I Do If I Slip And Fall At A Friend’s House? Can I Sue Them?

If you happen to be at a friend’s house, and you slip and fall at their home, you might wonder if you can actually sue them for damages that have been done. Although this is something that people would not typically do, it is possible that the damages that you have experience can prevent you from going to work, and will cause you to go to a doctor which can be very expensive. There is also the possibility that you may not be able to recover for many weeks or months. You will not be able to generate any income during this time. As a result of this, you may find yourself in a situation where you have no other choice but to consider the possibility of suing your friend if you slipped and fell at their home.

Is This Something That Is Easy To Do?

If you decide to do this, and you hire a lawyer to help you, they will likely sue your friend by going after the insurance company that provides them with homeowners insurance. It is also possible that they may consider legal action against your friend, and the assets that they have, in order to help you receive some type of compensation. If it can be proven that it is their fault that the slip and fall occurred, they will be liable for the damages that are done. Under the premises liability law, it is possible to look at any hazardous conditions at a home which led to the injury, allowing them to pursue legal action and file an insurance claim area

How The Premises Liability Law Works

This law will actually look at the relationship between the injured victim and the owner of the home. Lawyers will try to determine if there was negligence on the part of the homeowner. In most cases, the person that was injured was given permission to be in the home by the homeowner. If that is the case, it is their responsibility to warn you of any potential dangers that could lead to an accident. Of course, this would only pertain to conditions that they would reasonably know about, not random occurrences that could not be predicted. Your lawyer will be able to assess what has happened, and if they can, they will prove that the homeowner was negligent. At the very least, you can pursue reimbursement for the doctor or hospital bills that you will accrue as a result of your injuries. This is something that a friend would likely help you with, but if not, you may have to pursue legal action.

Comments are closed.

Post Navigation